Advancing Racial Equity in Child Welfare: Child Welfare Virtual Expo 2021
Take the Next Steps to Make Your Practice and Agency More Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable
Historically, the child welfare system has not served all people equitably. Even today, structural and institutional racism continue to impact our child welfare system, often in tragic ways. Though the child welfare field has long acknowledged the problem of systemic racial and ethnic inequities, the time has come to take purposeful, mindful action to make improvements that will advance racial equity in child welfare.
The videos below have been adapted from the 2021 Child Welfare Virtual Expo (CWVE), an annual virtual conference sponsored by the Children’s Bureau and the Center for States dedicated to exploring current child welfare challenges. You can watch the videos alone or with a team that includes agency staff and collaborative partners. Pair the videos below with the CWVE discussion guide to discover information and strategies for co-creating a more equitable child welfare system in these key areas:
- Build a Foundation for Racial Equity in Child Welfare
- Data and Racial Equity in Child Welfare
- Racial Equity and Authentic Engagement in Child Welfare
- Racial Equity and the Child Welfare Workforce
Ready to Get Started?
First, select the topics that align with your personal and team objectives. Then, watch the videos individually or as a group. Answer the reflection questions in the discussion guide to prepare individuals for group learning. Then, use the conversation starters and team activities to facilitate team discussions, create a shared understanding of how these topics relate to your everyday work, and develop action plans to move the work of advancing racial equity forward.
Use the questions and activities in the guide together with the videos below to learn information and strategies for co-creating a more equitable child welfare system. For each module, the guide includes:
- Description of the videos
- Individual reflection questions tailored to the topic
- Conversation starters to spark discussion of ideas and strategies for advancing racial equity with your colleagues and leaders
- Team activities for child welfare staff and collaborative partners to brainstorm how to put these ideas into action
Additional resources include:
- Tailored information for individual learners, leaders, and groups
- Guidance on determining which modules are right for you based on where your agency is in the process of working toward racial equity
- Strategies and resources for setting a conversational agreement and building a shared language around racial equity
- Tips for self-care if the conversation brings up challenging or difficult emotions for participants .