Use the resources in this list to support young people’s transitional needs and help them develop the skills needed for independent living after exiting foster care.
Child welfare agencies can partner with young people to explore resources that help youth and young adults access needed support and work toward self-sufficiency. The resources are divided into the following programmatic and practice areas, which reflect the organization of the National Youth in Transition Database:
- Life Skills Assessment
- General Educational Services
- Postsecondary Educational Support
- Career Preparation
- Employment Programs and Vocational Training
- Budget and Financial Management
- Housing Education and Home Management Training
- Health Education and Risk Prevention
- Family Support and Health Marriage Education
- Housing Assistance
- Room and Board Financial Assistance
- Educational Financial Assistance
- Other Financial Assistance
The information offered in this resource has been informed by lived experience experts and has been augmented by examples, research, and other information.