Fostering a Healthy Workforce: Child Welfare Virtual Expo (CWVE) 2018
Explore how to foster a healthy child welfare workforce through innovative and effective recruitment, retention, and practice strategies. Pair videos with the related discussion guide to prompt learning and reflection in these key areas:
- Fostering a Healthy Workforce
- Assessing Workforce Needs
- Coaching for Success
- Improving Practice Through Simulation
- Addressing Secondary Trauma
Ready to Get Started?
First, select the topics that align with your personal and team interests. Then, use the activities in the discussion guide along with the videos to prepare individuals for group learning, facilitate team discussions, create a shared understanding of how these topics relate to everyday work, and develop action plans to move the work forward.
CWVE 2018 Discussion Guide
This guide includes:
- Descriptions of the videos
- Individual reflection questions tailored to the topic
- Debrief questions for team discussion
- An action planning worksheet to help teams put new ideas into action
Explore how an engaged workforce with shared values can increase effectiveness in child welfare. Watch the video and work through discussion guide activities for this topic to:
- Reengage with the fundamental values that drive child welfare practice
- Build motivation for prioritizing families, focusing on child and family well-being, and building a stable and healthy workforce
Welcome and Introduction: Fostering a Healthy Workforce
Explore different ways to assess and address workforce needs. Watch the video and work through discussion guide activities for this topic to:
- Build understanding about critical data elements, analytic strategies, external engagement, and collaboration in workforce needs assessment processes
- Learn more about approaches used in different jurisdictions to assess and address child welfare workforce needs
Explore the use of coaching within the context of child welfare supervision and casework practice to improve staff confidence and performance to achieve agency goals related to safety, permanency, and well-being. Watch the video and work through discussion guide activities for this topic to:
- Learn about the benefits of—and barriers to—coaching
- Discover strategies to build capacity for coaching
- Plan for the integration of coaching into daily interactions
Explore three different simulations used to train and build child welfare workers’ skills by mimicking the conditions and content that a worker will encounter on the job. Watch the video and work through discussion guide activities for this topic to:
- Learn more about how these innovative modes of training can develop worker skills and prepare them for the reality of child welfare casework
- Consider strategies to implement simulation training at your agency
Explore strategies for providing ongoing support to staff working in a trauma-exposed environment. Watch the video and work through discussion guide activities for this topic to:
- Learn about organizational measures to proactively address and prevent secondary trauma
- Identify opportunities, challenges, and barriers to implementing strategies to combat secondary traumatic stress in the workplace
Organizational Strategies to Address Secondary Traumatic Stress in the Workforce
Interested in Earning Continuing Education Credits?
We are pleased to offer social work, clinical psychology, counseling, and marriage and family therapy continuing education units (CEUs) with this learning experience. A link to purchase CEUs is provided in the description of individual sessions.*
*Note: The CEU sponsor, R. Cassidy Seminars, maintains responsibility for its CEU program. For more information on the licensing program and requirements, please visit the sponsor’s website.
Connect With Us
Learn how we can help your agency build the capacity to thrive.
Visit the Center for States' Contact Us webpage for more information.