Take the Next Steps Toward a Prevention-Oriented System
In today's challenging environment and with the ongoing need to support children and families, providing opportunities for child welfare staff to learn about new strategies for building strong, prevention-focused child welfare systems is more important than ever.
The videos below have been adapted from the 2020 CWVE, an annual conference sponsored by the Children’s Bureau and the Center for States dedicated to exploring current child welfare challenges. Pair the videos with the CWVE discussion guide to discover information and strategies for for strengthening families, supporting implementation of the Family First Prevention Services Act (FFPSA), and creating prevention-oriented child welfare systems in these key areas:
- Becoming a prevention-focused system
- Collaborating with families for systems change
- Creating effective partnerships for primary prevention
- Developing and measuring comprehensive prevention frameworks
- Building a culture and climate that support a prevention-focused system
- Taking the first steps toward a more prevention-focused system
Ready to Get Started?
First, select the topics that align with your personal and team goals. Then, watch the videos individually or as a group.
CWVE 2020 Discussion Guide
Use the activities in the discussion guide to prepare individuals for group learning, facilitate team discussions, create a shared understanding of how these topics relate to everyday work, and develop action plans to move the work forward. The guide includes:
- Suggestions for using the discussion guide and videos together
- Video descriptions
- Individual reflection questions tailored to the topic
- Team activities to help child welfare staff and collaborative partners brainstorm
- An action planning worksheet to help teams put new ideas into action