Keeping It Real: Simulation Training in Child Welfare
Simulation Training in Child Welfare
Simulation training recreates real-life conditions to prepare child welfare workers and students for interactions with families and critical partners in child welfare work.
Explore the videos on this site for firsthand accounts of simulation experiences, its benefits, and key considerations based on lessons learned. The videos present perspectives from program developers, trainers, participants, agency leaders, and other individuals familiar with simulation training in Illinois.
Consult the series publications for more detailed information and tips on simulation training:
- Keeping It Real: How Simulation Can Support the Child Welfare Workforce supports agency decision-making about introducing a simulation program.
- Keeping It Real: Developing Simulation Training for Child Welfare Workers helps guide the process of developing and delivering simulation training programs.
Discover the power of simulation.
This site features videos and interviews with representatives from the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services, the Child Protection Training Academy at the University of Illinois at Springfield, the Children and Family Research Center, and simulation training actors and community professionals. (Find out more about the Illinois simulation training program and its evaluation.)
Additional Resources on Simulation Training
Access these resources to learn more about onsite and virtual simulation programs.
- Child Welfare Virtual Expo 2018, Session 4. Simulation Innovations: It’s Not Just Role Play Anymore. Capacity Building Center for States. (2018). [Video].
- Podcast Episode 43: Virtual Reality–The Next Stage of Caseworker Training. Child Welfare Information Gateway. (2019). [Podcast].
- Mind the Gap #2: Simulation Labs for Child Welfare Training and Education. National Child Welfare Workforce Institute. (2015). [Webinar and learning exchange].
- Moving from procedure to practice: A statewide child protection simulation training model. Journal of Public Child Welfare. (2020). [Journal article].
- Program evaluation reports for the Child Protection Training Academy. Illinois Children and Family Research Center. [Evaluation reports].